Monday, March 22, 2010

WARNING ....RELATIONAL WHITE ANT!!

Hi everyone,

Just had a great weekend - full on busy, but very fruitful and enjoyable. Now I am enjoying a very quiet day at home ...in the quiet... even better the stillness. I'm catching up on some housework, (deliberately not much), and avoiding the office like the plague. WONDERFUL!! :)



As I poke around my home I'm thinking about something Pastor Murray often says... "The opposite of love is not hate, it's selfishness." Well in the context of marriage & home - I believe that is true.



The times when our relationship has been most 'eaten away' has been the times when we have been selfish.

  • "My way or the highway"

  • "I'm right, you're wrong"

  • "I don't feel like co-operating with you"

  • "I've got my own plans thank you"

  • and of course that song that we all relate to so strongly, "What about me....?"

The dark patches that feel like hate don't start off with hate, they start off with selfishness. And that sense of hatred can quickly be dissolved and replaced with love when we 'with faith that works by love' serve one another; honour one another; treat one another and simply choose to be kind.


I remember reading somewhere once (I'm so sorry, it was a while ago and I don't remember where I read or heard it)... that it is a great idea to let your first words to your spouse be "what would you like me to do for you today?"

I admit, I don't think to do that every day, but when I have it has a wonderful effect on me... I actually do feel more loving! It has a wonderful effect on Jeff. He feels loved! Now that's a great way to face the day.

"If you've gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care— then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don't push your way to the front; don't sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don't be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand."
Phil 2:1-4 (The Message)

So rather than thinking of love as a great feeling, lets think of it as a powerful gift that we are free to hand out every day of our lives!

Be blessed! :)

Lynda

1 comment: