Saturday, February 25, 2012

Treasure's from the Secret Place

Hi Everyone,

Hope you have had a really good week.

Today is a special day.  Nicole & Nigel's wedding anniversary. 6 years!  I quick think back to when Jeff & I were married 6 years helps me to realise that in spite of their youth and the big load they carry, they are well and truly up to it.  When we were in our sixth year we felt quite relaxed and experienced, certainly not young novices. We also had three children and at the end of that year took on the responsibility of a church.  Why is it that as parents, we constantly have to remind ourselves that our children are actually no longer children! :) - Anyway ... CONGRATULATIONS NIGEL & NICOLE!! You are a constant delight to us xx

Now for the Treasures....
Over the last few months I find myself in a change in season. This has been both in my personal life and ministry.  While it is wonderful, it is also uncertain.  At times I feel like I could lose my way.  One of the things that has been an enourmous help has been the habit of regular personal devotional time.  Sticking to a Bible reading plan, praying... and journalling.

1. Bible Reading Plan  This may sound a little mechanical and to be honest at times I come to it thinking, "I don't really want to read this boring bit".  However, the benefits of sticking to the plan are this.  Firstly, it takes me through the whole of Scripture giving me the Whole Counsel of God, not just the bits that make me feel good.  Secondly, I don't have to think about where to read, I just follow the plan. Finally, it has amazed me time and time again how The Lord has used some seemingly obscure and 'boring' passage to bring just the Word I needed! When we follow the plan IN FAITH & OBEDIENCE it is amazing how God blesses it. 

2. Prayer   What a privilege and delight to have the safe place of prayer. To wake up every morning KNOWING that we have our Father in heaven who really does love us. Who really does care.  Who really does GET IT. Christian, do you realise what a gift that is?  So many people wake up feeling that there is no God and if there is, that He just doesn't care. I can't imagine what that would feel like, and I am constantly grateful.  So my prayer time is an honest expression of my heart, whether it's good or bad.  Psalm 62:8 says, "Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us"  What an invitation!

3.  Journalling  The picture to the left was taken in the Blue Mountains.  If I remember correctly, this hole in the rock was a place that early pioneers dug so that cool clean water could be stored.  It was there for when they came past that spot again in their travels, or for others following on afterwards.  How essential to their survival these little water caves were! 
Journalling is like one of those water caves. 
Remember, I talked about the uncertainty of my changing world?  Well, a few weeks ago I went through last years journalling and summarised it.  It gave me the most wonderful overview of consistent guidance and instruction.  I could see how God has been speaking to me and in these times of change, it helps to keep me focused and on track.  It answers my doubts with faith and gives me courage. I just read that snapshot a few minutes ago and what a blessing it is!

Please let me encourage you to make your devotional time a priority and perhaps include journalling. I promise you that you will NOT REGRET IT, not even once.

Hope this is an encouragement,
With love,
Lynda

No comments:

Post a Comment